Friday, December 9, 2011

Jess's Office

Last fall, my husband and I decided to make our guest bedroom into an office. I didn't know at the time that I'd be writing full-time soon, but considering how often we have overnight guests vs. how often I stay up into the wee hours typing furiously and working toward a deadline, it turned out to be a really good decision. Space is at a premium in DC row houses!




I never actually use my desk. That's an old picture -- notice my old netbook. I am now firmly a Macbook Air girl. A current picture of my desk would show you several empty tea mugs, some post-its, some stickers, and an assortment of candles.

I actually do most of my writing on this loveseat.



But not in the mornings. In the mornings, it gets great sunlight and it belongs to Monkey. He and Mr. Sunbeam are BFFs. Notice his disgruntled look. I have disturbed his basking.






This is the newest addition to the office. I stole Erin Bow's genius idea of rewarding herself with a sticker for every 1k. November's stickers were super-cute owls. (Note the scarcity of owls in the first half of November, when I was on vacation in CA. And then I finished my draft of book two on November 29!) It was surprisingly motivational!


Hope you enjoyed the tour!

5 comments:

  1. Omg! I love the chair! Such a great idea...I love my MacBook pro! Ready for an upgrade:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm another MacBook girl, and I love the sticker idea! Monkey looks adorable on that loveseat. My dog Maggie can distract me just by looking cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monkey's so adorable :-) Hopefully the Playwright will be able to photograph Monkey and you together for http://genrecats.tumblr.com ;-)

    Does Monkey appreciate you more now that you're home all the time, or did he prefer you when you worked at the office?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!! I can imagine how cozy it is to sit in your loveseat with Monkey, writing on a snowy day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Court: Thanks! I am a huge fan of the Macbook Air, mostly bc my husband and I go on coffee-shop writing dates all the time, and it's really easy to toss into a purse and go.

    @ Eve: Monkey is very distracting. Today he *demanded* that I take a nap with him.

    @ Tez: yes! I keep meaning to submit a genrecats pic. I think Monkey appreciates me being home. The Playwright says I spoil him. I do sing him made up songs quite a lot, but I'm not sure that's really a plus...

    @ Gina: Occasionally he will sit on my head (i.e. the back of the loveseat) but usually when I'm writing he shuns me. I think he resents the laptop.

    ReplyDelete