Thursday, November 24, 2011

Internet Serendipity

I don’t want you to think that I’m not taking this whole “week of thanks” theme very seriously (I’m thankful! I swear!) but I’m Canadian. Thanksgiving was so last month ago.*

So I decided my thanks-themed post would be on something slightly light and fluffy:

INTERNET SERENDIPITY!

From Mirriam-Webster:

ser•en•dip•i•ty: the faculty or phenomenon of finding valuable or agreeable things not sought for.

From The Urban Dictionary:

Internet: 1) The greatest waste of time ever devised by man. 2) One huge therapy session.

Over the past couple of weeks, I’ve had two instances where I found incredible things that I quite needed (without, of course, realizing that I needed them).



The first came to me via Amanda Johnson (@AC_Johnson89) on Twitter. While discussing Studio Ghibli films, I confessed that I had never read Howl’s Moving Castle. Her response:

O.O you don't even know what you're missing! The movie just picked out like one plot line.

A few days later, I picked up a copy of the book because I thought it might be nice to read in those snatched moments while waiting for the bus or grabbing a quick bite to eat (or too tired to revise but not tired enough to sleep).

As it turned out, it was the EXACT book I needed right now. With the first draft of book two due in six weeks and ARCs of book one hitting the world, my stress level has been appropriately high. Howl’s Moving Castle was just enchanting and magical enough to provide me with blissful bursts of happy that lasted hours after I set the book aside. It even renewed my interest in the movie (though I do conceded that book Howl is more crush-worthy.)

The second thing I needed was a song. I’m ridiculously obsessive about listening to certain music when working on certain scenes, and the scene I was working on had originally been drafted to a song from book one’s playlist (when I get stuck, I’ll listen to songs from book one, but I never find it as satisfying).

Before settling in to work, I decided to watch an episode of Drop Dead Diva. That episode just happened to end with the perfect song for the scene in question: “Soldier” by Ingrid Michaelson (which I tracked down through the glory of YouTube).



So, this week, that's what I'm thankful for: random acts of internet serendipity.

* Yes. We celebrate Thanksgiving in October.

---

Kathleen Peacock is a semi-reformed vampire addict and unapologetic geek who has taken to writing about werewolves and who wants to marry the Wizard Howl. Her debut, HEMLOCK, will be published by Katherine Tegen Books, an imprint of HarperCollins, on May 8, 2012. Visit her website at www.kathleenpeacock.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment