Sunday, November 20, 2011

Giving Thanks

In Minnesota, November descends like a gray veil. The lawn is made of silver prickly things. The pond wears an icy skin. The cold feels colder without the snow, which I know is lurking just beyond the cloud bank.


In short, it’s a tough month to give thanks. Which is probably all the more reason to do so.


So this morning I am looking back on "The Best Year of My Life" and giving thanks for the things that made it so.



1. “The Call.” You know the one. The one where you're minding your own business, alphabetizing your rejection letters when your agent calls and says, "Are you sitting down?"


2. Crazy ideas and the courage to ask, “What if?” Then, critique partners who know the difference between crazy genius and just plain crazy.


3. Small literary magazines that give emerging writers a place to show what they can do, and build credits to put in a query letter.


4. My agent and editor and the opportunity to finally meet them in person in a far away land called New York.


5. The “delete” button and the wisdom to know when to use it.


6. My husband and three kids, who give me time and space to write because they know it makes me happier than doing dishes.


7. Steve Jobs for his genius.


8. YA Authors who make me say, “I wish I wrote that!”


9. Stephenie Meyer for making YA so hugely, insanely popular and doubling the size of the reader demographic


10. YA Readers everywhere. You know who you are. xxxooo


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




Anne Greenwood Brown

LIES BENEATH

Random House/ Delacorte Press

June 12, 2012


From the Book Flap: "Calder's out for revenge--just as his mermaid sisters are. But when he meets the girl he's supposed to use as bait, everything changes."



3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear it's been a good year for you and next will be better. Your release :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I love the alphabetizing rejection letters line!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the delete button. And am also thankful for my Macbook pro <3

    ReplyDelete