Monday, October 24, 2011

I Got a Rock: A Halloween Playlist

The orange plastic jack o’ lanterns are stocked with Hershey’s miniatures, the neighbor has strung cotton batting across the façade of their house and a swarm of bloodthirsty bats are inexplicably circling the sky—it’s time to complete the mood with some spooked-out music.



Halloween 1978/ John Carpenter
Freaks Come out at Night/ Whodini
Ghost Town/ The Specials
I Put a Spell on You/ Screamin' Jay Hawkins
Mommy Can I Go Out and Kill Tonight?/ The Misfits
Dracula’s Wedding/ Outkast
Frankenstein/ New York Dolls
Halloween/ Sonic Youth
I Walked with a Zombie/ Roky Erickson and the 13th Floor Elevators
Halloween Parade/ Lou Reed
Season of the Witch/ Donovan
Iron Man/ Black Sabbath
Suspiria/ Goblins
Monster/ Kanye West, Jay-Z & Nicki Minaj
I Got a Rock/ Kid Koala and MF Doom




My debut young adult novel PRETTY CROOKED (Katherine Tegen/HarperCollins) will be released in March 2012. Even though I had to extensively research pickpocketing techniques to write it, I remain a law-abiding citizen. I live in Philadelphia with my husband Jesse and cat Beau a.k.a. Bread. When I'm not writing for teens, I'm cooking and/or writing about food for The Philadelphia Inquirer and other publications. I'm a proud member of The Apocalypsies.

3 comments:

  1. Elisa, these are awesome!! It's tradition at our house for my husband to stick the speaker out a front window and serenade our neighbors with a playlist he made of creepy music and sound effects. He'll love to add your suggestions to the list!

    ReplyDelete