Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Halloween Traditions

Or, every year I read The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare sometime in October.

It isn't a very Halloween-ie book. It's about a girl who moves from Barbados to Puritan New England to start a new life only to realize that this new town isn't very welcoming.

Simple, but there's something about it that keeps me reading it over and over again.

You see, dear reader, my Halloweens aren't about scare mansions and fake blood and throwing eggs at passing cars. It's about the darker side of our selves. I was baptized Catholic but growing up I found myself more drawn to myths, folk tales, fairies, witches, vampires, mermaids. I've always been fascinated with the things we can't explain. Things a lot less scary than Catholic priests in my eyes.

Eventually I found out that some people (Wiccans) consider Halloween the witch's new year. It's a long story. But even though I don't practice, I do believe I feel a spark on Halloween. If I'm in the middle of a nightclub with drunk New Yorkers in costumes, trick or treating with my cousins, dancing with my friends, or just walking at night alone for a little while, the spark is there. Just like when I read this book.

What are your Halloween traditions?

Zoraida Córdova was born in Guayaquil, Ecuador. Her favorite things are sparkly like merdudes, Christmas, and New York City at night. She loves getting tweets @zlikeinzorro and making funny faces on her YouTube channel ZoraidaLand.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I agree, always loved the dark mystery around Halloween instead of the commercial stuff. Have not read this book. It's going on the TBR list right now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean!! I was also raised Catholic but I always felt like the world's worst sinner because I despise all that churchy stuff ... if I want to feel close to God, I go outside. And I agree that Halloween has its own unique energy!

    ReplyDelete