Monday, October 17, 2011

Halloween Recipes: Harry Potter Pumpkin Spice Cakes

Since we've been discussing on the blog various Halloween recipes, I thought I would be remiss if I didn't bring up the book series that ties Halloween and food together in a big way.

Harry Potter. It kind of goes without saying, right?

Not only did J.K. Rowling open up the doors to a magical world of witches and wizards, but she also introduced an entire world of culinary delights such as pumpkin pasties, sugar quills, butter beer, and cauldron cakes just to name a few. And, while we as readers have never eaten such things, it isn't hard for us to imagine the way they would taste on our tongue.

Ear wax Bertie Bott's every flavour bean?

Um...yeah...

Anyway, as a die hard Harry Potter fan girl...

*cough*




*ahem*

Of course I would try my hand at making some of the foods talked about in the book. So, in honor of the Harry Potter finale now playing in theaters, I bring you my recipe for

Harry Potter Pumpkin Spice Cakes

And the best part is, they're really simple and really low in fat. Yay!

First, you'll need to gather your ingredients:


1 Box of Spice Cake Mix
1 Can of Pureed Pumpkin
1/2 Cup (or one of those individual cups) of Applesauce
1 Bag of Cinnamon Chips (located by the chocolate chips)

To start, preheat your over to 350 degrees. Add the cake mix, pumpkin, and applesauce together in a bowl and stir by hand until blended.


Next, add in the cinnamon chips.


When all the ingredients are combined, grease twenty-four muffin cups (I use the spray on vegetable oil) and fill each muffin cup with you cake mix. You can fill your muffin cups all the way to the top as your cakes will not rise that much.


Finally, put your cakes in the oven and bake for twenty-five minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. When the muffins are done, let them cool for five minutes and enjoy.


Ah, it's a trip to Hogwarts with every bite.

How about you? What are your favorite Halloween recipes?




When Cole Gibsen isn't writing books for young adults, she can be found rocking out with her band, sewing crazy costumes for the fun of it, picking off her nail polish, or drinking straight from the jug--provided no one is looking.

Her debut novel, KATANA, will be available March 8th, 2012. For more information about Cole you can check out her website.www.colegibsen.com

5 comments:

  1. I'm going to try to make a ghost cake! we'll see how that goes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yummy! I own The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook...I'm going to go to town this Halloween with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my! The spice cakes sound SO heavenly! Can't wait to try 'em. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound SO good. I love cinnamon chips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huzzah for sewing crazy costumes!!! Although I actually said no to sewing for the anime convention this year just because I had no time.

    ReplyDelete