Friday, September 9, 2011

What's on Your Nightstand #12


Zoraida Cordova: I'm picking up DREAMLAND SOCIAL CLUB by Tara Altebrando. Love Coney Island, of course.

Gina Damico: This week I finally got to jump back into Maggie Stiefvater's SHIVER trilogy with LINGER, which for some reason has slipped through the cracks up until now. I'm not usually a romancey fan, but man, those crazy wolf kids are just too damn adorable!

Nicole Maggi: I just finished reading Gretchen McNeil's POSSESS and...WOW. It's an emotional, gripping thrill ride filled with flesh-and-blood characters, a great setting, awesome dialogue and, oh yeah, a heroine who kicks some serious demon ass.

Danny Marks: I just started reading Kathryn Stockett's THE HELP, just like everyone else on the planet. I was actually quite surprised at how long the book is and, damn, the print is small. If I were into it, at all, it might be less daunting, but I so want to get back to my ARC reading—STORYBOUND by Marissa Burt and our very own Jessica Spotswood's BORN WICKED are staring me down from the corner of my desk. One of them has a knife. I don't think I need to say which.

Kathleen Peacock: Okay so I was totally supposed to save DESIRES OF THE DEAD until I finished my first draft of Hemlock 2 as a reward... but... I was having a rubbish day and the cover was so pretty and I loved THE BODY FINDER so much that I cheated and read the first 50 or so pages while having a nice meal at my fav deli. And now the thought of being good and putting it down until I finish my draft is just... excruciating.

Gina Rosati: I read an ARC of Caroline Starr Rose's MG historical novel-in-verse, MAY B., which taught me how lucky I am to live in a nice New Hampshire suburb and not in a mucky sod house in the middle of the Kansas prairie during the winter... this is an amazing book that packs so much power and emotion into every word! I am also reading Gretchen McNeil's POSSESS and I am loving it, but I'm frustrated I don't have more time to read this week since I got my own first pass pages. This weekend, I plan on lining up my daughter's American Girl and My Twinn dolls and reading them the part about the creepy doll store that everyone's talking about ... just in case, you know, they had any mutinous ideas of their own!

Jessica Spotswood: I'm reading Ilsa J. Bick's ASHES. Once I started reading the 100-page excerpt on io9, I couldn't put it down; I bought it on my Nook as soon as it was available. Talk about a page-turner! Her end-of-chapter hooks are insane. I'm not usually creeped out by books, either, but this one left me scared to go downstairs in the dark for fear of cannibals.

GIVEAWAY: Want a chance to win shiny new release POSSESS? All you have to do is leave a comment below, telling me what you’re reading this week. Contest is open internationally until next Friday at 10 am EST. One winner will be announced in next Friday’s post.

19 comments:

  1. This weekend I'm reading Ashes too, and Liesl and Po.

    I would love to win Possess!

    wordspelunker AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am currently reading Verita by Tracy Rozzlyn! I am loving it and only knew about it from her. I read another book by her...Fast-Tracked and it was really great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right now I'm reading The Book of Nonsense by David Michael. I'm dying to read Possess!

    almostgrownupblog [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  4. A giveaway? Okay!

    This week I'm reading THE EMERALD ATLAS, which is middle grade, but very YA-ish in many ways, lol.

    Email: ckeaton[at]gmx[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading Linda Berdoll's MR. DARCY TAKES A WIFE and Gaston Leroux's THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. As far as my nightstand goes, it has quite a few:

    A Dance with Dragons (reading now.)

    Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

    Ash

    A Day in the Life of Ancient Rome

    The Eleventh Plague

    ReplyDelete
  7. this week, i am reading With A Little Luck by Caprice Crane. i've had it for a while, but i just got the chance to start reading it. love her!!
    jessicaborash at gmail

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm reading Ten Things We Did by Sarah Mlynowski!

    angelidgcruz at gmail dot com

    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm reading Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce and rereading the Sweep Series by Cate Tiernan for the 20th time!!! Hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Right now im reading Linger, and yes, it IS sitting on my nightstand. How'd ya know? :)

    Poisnivyred At gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Right now, I'm almost finished with Rachel Vincent's Blood Bound. Next up is The Rift Walker by Clay & Susan Griffith. I can't plan past that because there are so many to pick from on my bookshelves.

    Sara M
    sara_UFblog [at] yahoo [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am in school and don't have much free time, so right now I'm only reading Rhetoric: A User's Guide for my English class. I wish I didn't have so much homeowrk, my TBR list is much too long!

    Gabi ~ teddycavygal at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. A Long, Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan.

    lesly7ch(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  14. i am reading Archangel's Blade by Nalini Singh (it's a paranormal romance).

    chelleyreads AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm currently reading Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan :)I can't wait to read Possess!

    shiirleyyx@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Imogen was having trouble leaving a comment, so this comment is her entry!

    imogen(dot)sellars(at)live.com.au.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm just going through A Million Suns by Beth Revis and Grace for the Good Girl by Emily Freeman; both are so good!

    everafteresther(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Currently reading GLOW by Amy Kathleen Ryan. LOVING sci-fi as of recently.

    mcwilliams.heather@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete