Tuesday, September 27, 2011

My Favorite Time of Year

The chill in the air, the turning leaves, the shorter days and longer nights...all these things herald my favorite time of year.  Autumn.

And with autumn comes the world's best holiday...Halloween.

Look, I don't care that you get presents at Christmas or an all-you-can eat feast on Thanksgiving or marshmallow chicks at Easter.  Halloween is, hands-down, the best holiday.  You are actually encouraged to a) demand candy, b) stuff your face with said candy once you get it, and c) cause mischief.

I go all out for Halloween.  This year I'm considering constructing a graveyard on my front lawn.  And for the past few years I've had a pumpkin-carving party a few days before Halloween.  My specialty is a jack o'lantern of wolves howling at the moon.

So it may surprise you to know that I'm an absolute baby when it comes to horror movies.

Seriously.  All my husband has to do to send me screaming from the room is hum the theme music from the classic horror flick Halloween.

I can't watch any movie based on a Stephen King novel, and I'll never see Rosemary's Baby no matter how many times my husband begs me to watch it.

I have two exceptions to this fear of mine.  One is Hitchcock.  Although it took me many years to work up the courage to see Psycho, when I did finally watch it (on Halloween, no less) I loved it.  And although most of his other movies aren't necessarily scary or spooky, they are psychological thrillers, which I love.  And, honestly, that is often scarier than a slasher film.

The other exception is a good old-fashioned ghost story.  I remember seeing The Others, curled up in my movie theatre seat, heart pounding, and loving every minute of it.  And in a way, ghost stories are more terrifying to me because I truly, deeply believe in the existence of ghosts.

Maybe it's that belief in the spirit world that my love of Halloween is rooted.  It's said that on Halloween (or Samhain, the pagan new year) the veil between our world and the spirit world is very thin...and those spirits like to cross over and get a little mischievous on us.

And from this love of ghosts and spooky stuff grew my love of all things supernatural.  Witches, magic, vampires, the Benandanti, ancient Egyptian curses, crop circles, time travel, unexplained phenomena...I'm drawn to all of it like a werewolf to the full moon.  It's why I love Buffy and Angel, The X-Files and Fringe.  All of these shows are more psychologically-driven than horror-driven, and there's something so tantalizing about the unknown rather than what's seen on screen in a slasher flick.

So while I'll happily curl up with one of Meg Cabot's Mediator books, don't ever, ever ask me to read The Shining.

 

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love a good psych-thriller even if I'm scared and clutching the person next to me. Anything that really toys with your emotions is awesome! The other fun thing about Halloween is the free-pass to dress up! Last year I was a Deviled-Egg. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I'm a sissy when it comes to scary movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ginger - yes, I forgot to mention the dressing up aka the best part! And Zoraida, glad to have you in the sissy corner of the movie theatre. :-)

    ReplyDelete