Sunday, September 25, 2011

Larry King Interviews Calder White

Larry King: So, Calder White, is that your real name?


Calder: *rolls eyes*


Larry King: Thank you for taking the time to visit with us. I understand you’ve got somewhere to go.


Calder: Not that I have any say in it. Migration, y’know.


Larry King: Well, we don’t know. That’s the point of this interview. We’d like to know more about you. So, I understand you were born a mermaid?


Calder: Merman, and no, I’m not that kind.


Larry King: Kind of what?


Calder: The born kind.


Larry King: Care to elaborate?

Calder: No. I don’t like to share too much, unless of course, there’s something in it for me.


Larry King: Well how about something easy then. Date of Birth?


Calder: That’s easy? Fine. Whatever. I don’t know the day, but I was born in 1964.


Larry King: Really? You don’t look a day over eighteen. Kind of like me. Heh, heh, heh.


Calder: I age slowly. Like dog years in reverse. Next question.


Larry King: Best job ever?


Calder: Fry cook in the Abacos. That’s in the Bahamas.


Larry King: Type of girl you’re looking for.


Calder: I’m off the market, but in the past I’d say anyone who was happy, optimistic, excited. Of course, girls like that never lived long when I was around. These days there’s just one girl in my life, but the best thing about her is she doesn’t give a crap what people think. She’s . . . what do you call it . . . a nonconformist. It’s the one thing I wish I could be. Of course, conformity is kind of a requirement where I come from.


Larry King: And where do you come from?


Calder: That’s what I’m trying to figure out. Lake Superior, of course. That’s where I was when I came to be this way.


Larry King: This way, as in a merman?


Calder: Right. But at the beginning of LIES BENEATH I’m coming from the Bahamas. Like I said, I’m trying to figure things out.


Larry King: Greatest desire?


Calder: Freedom.


Larry King: Glass half empty or half full?


Calder: Half Empty. Definitely.


Larry King: If you could be any animal--


Calder: Seriously? Theses are the best questions you’ve got? What about something like best Tennyson poem ever?


Larry King: Okay.


Calder: The Lady of Shalott.


Larry King: Care to elaborate?


Calder: Ha! Nice try! I guess you’ll have to read the book: LIES BENEATH, Delacorte Press, June 12, 2012.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, the Lady of Shalott reference has got me hooked. Calder sounds a little disillusioned and wounded. I love a tragically haunted hero!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's definitely a mess in the beginning, but he comes around! : )

    ReplyDelete