Friday, August 5, 2011

What's on Your Nightstand? #7

Zoraida Cordova: I just bought SUPERNATURALLY by Kiersten White.

A.C. Gaughen: I finished THE BETRAYAL OF NATALIE HARGROVE, and I'll be honest, I thought it kind of zigzagged. It started, and I thought I was in for a story about a mysterious past and the boy Natalie really should be with. But then zag, and the boy Natalie really should be with is dead, and it's her fault. Zig, her guilt becomes overwhelming in a Lady Macbeth-esque way. Zag...well I'll let you find out the rest. I was happy to go along for the ride, but by the time I turned the last few crucial pages, I was totally floored, astounded, and amazed. LOVED it. Zig zags and all.

Cole Gibsen: I'm reading LITTLE GIRLS CAN BE MEAN: FOUR STEPS TO BULLY-PROOF GIRLS IN THE EARLY GRADES. As a person who was bullied horribly in high school, with my daughter starting school in a few weeks, this is a very important issue for me. I want to learn all I can about building my daughter's self confidence and keeping our lines of communication open while she's still young.

Elisa Ludwig: I'm just starting THE DISREPUTABLE HISTORY OF FRANKIE LANDAU-BANKS by E. Lockhart.

Nicole Maggi: I'm reading THE FUTURE OF US and it's so good! Am dying to find out how it ends! But I've been good and haven't flipped ahead. :-) And for something completely different, I'm reading THE IMMORTAL LIFE OF HENRIETTA LACKS on my Nook. It's a fascinating book about the HeLa cells and although it's nonfiction it reads almost like a novel. I'm not a science person but it has me glued to the page!

Danny Marks: My reading slowed down a bit this week, but not much. I've begun savoring Rosemary Clement Moore's TEXAS GOTHIC, which is much lighter and funnier than I'd imagined. I wasn't sure what I was expecting, really, but it's definitely up my alley. Witches, a big-ass Texas cattle ranch and spooky ghosts, what's not to like? Also, and I highly recommend this for readers of any level, I belong to a book club that meets every two months and this time we're discussing Aravind Adiga's THE WHITE TIGER, a literary tale told by a murderer in central India. So, I'm listening to that on audio 'cause I'm totally down with the convenience!

Gina Rosati: I'm just cracking open BAD TASTE IN BOYS by Carrie Harris

Jessica Spotswood: And I'm just starting INCARNATE by fellow Apocalypsie Jodi Meadows!

What about you, Dear Readers? What are YOU reading this week?

9 comments:

  1. Just started George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire Series. Loving A GAME OF THRONES thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm re-reading Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pablo Neruda's Memoirs (amazing) , Jane Eyre (which I sort of read in perpetuity), and A Great Improvisation by Stacy Schiff (although Benjamin Franklin is, unsurprisingly, less interesting than Cleopatra.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Chelsey: I've heard so many good things about the TV GAME OF THRONES! I know tons of people who are reading the books now.

    @ Steph: I love Suite Scarlett! Although I think I love Scarlett Fever even better. Also: I am giving away a copy of The Name of the Star next week on my blog!

    @ Joelle: Maybe I should reread Jane Eyre. It's been awhile. I have to confess, I'm usually more fond of Austen than the Brontes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always have a copy of Jane Eyre nearby. I've also got Betty Zane, Torn, Ship Breaker, A Dance With Dragons, and The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland on my nightstand right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will someone please tell me why I can't read faster! I'm fully prepared to brush aside all my social obligations so I can finish Texas Gothic and start Kelly Creagh's NEVERMORE. I know. I KNOW! I'm late to the game on this one, but it's happening. If I'm not reading it by Sunday, someone throw me in a pit of bookmarks. <-- cuz of the...you know...papercuts. Ugh. Forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading Anna and the French Kiss and Write Good or Die. Both are ebooks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @April: I bought my husband Shipbreaker for his birthday and I might have to steal & read it for myself! I also have The Girl Who...on my TBR pile.

    @Danny: I need to buy Texas Gothic. I've heard lots of good things!

    @Leira: I loooove Anna & the French Kiss. And I think her next book, Lola & the Boy Next Door, is even better!

    Yay! Thanks for commenting, all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Danny, NEVERMORE has been on my TO READ pile since it came out. Where are the days going?!

    ReplyDelete