Friday, August 26, 2011

What's on Your Nightstand #10


Zoraida Cordova: I got an ARC of LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR by Stephanie Perkins and I'm almost done with WILDEFIRE by Karsten Knight, who is my new literary crush.

Gina Damico: I'm now reading A GREAT AND TERRIBLE BEAUTY by Libba Bray. I'm waaay late to the Libba Bray and Gemma Doyle party, and I wish I had known about it sooner. I love the juxtaposition of the time period (1894) with the way those snarky teenage girls talk. Add a dollop of Narnia-esque magic, and I'm in.

Laura Ellen: Do my edits and a bottle of wine count? J

Danny Marks: I've been lured into Matthew Norman's brilliant dysfunctional family black comedy, DOMESTIC VIOLETS. Its irreverent tone and timely premise and setting have me so jealous I didn't write it, I could stomp on a flower bed. I also read the graphic novel ANYA'S GHOST by Vera Brosgol. Fantastic, quick and creepy. Highly recommend!

Kathleen Peacock: I'm about 220 pages into THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO by Patrick Ness and I am pretty certain that. This. Book. Is. Shredding. My. Soul.

Gina Rosati: I finished Lauren Oliver's BEFORE I FALL, which is excellent and I'm kicking myself for not reading it sooner! I also got the ARC to our very own Sarah Tregay's novel-in-verse LOVE & LEFTOVERS and I am crazy in love with this book --- I can't wait until it's available on January 1st and I can have my own copy!!! I'm currently reading the ARC of THE FUTURE OF US by Carolyn Mackler and Jay Asher now, and I'm loving it ... such a cool concept! And while I'm hurricaned in, I plan to read both the ARC I just got of MAY B. (MG/historical novel in verse) by our own Caroline Starr Rose and POSSESS by our own Gretchen McNeil, which hit the shelves last Tuesday!

Jessica Spotswood: I'm really enjoying Sonia Gensler's THE REVENANT, which is set at a Cherokee girls' boarding school in the 1890s. The class tensions between the lighter-skinned town girls and darker-skinned rural girls is fascinating, as is the way the heroine (a white teacher) comes to question her initial assumptions about her students. The ghost is creepy and the forbidden romance is swoony.

What about you guys? What are you reading this week? Anyone else planning to get hurricaned in with a good book?

No comments:

Post a Comment