Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Holding Out for a Hero

I'm a hero slut. I love anti heroes, super heroes, angsty heroes, strong heroes, conflicted heroes...I love them all. I think I have this unabashed and equal opportunity love for them because the moment they become a hero, something about them just shines. Like a mash up of Katy Perry and Lady Gaga, they shoot across the sky on the edge of glory. Whether it's their dashing good looks, their charm, their roguish ways...they have that one moment where they get to show you what they're really capable of. And I think that's kind of the moment when, if it happens in real life, you fall in love with someone--when you see them not only as they really are, but as they truly strive to be seen, both at the same time.

So yeah, I love me some heroes.

And here are my top five heroes. Du jour, of course--what can I say.

1. Seeley Booth
I don't know why he's the first one to pop into my hero-addled brain. His hero criteria:
a) shoulders that a girl could swing off of
b) total alpha male
c) defends his country and his people
d) has a dark past, dark hair, and not-so-dark humor.
CHECK!

2. Spiderman/Peter Parker
Swoonworthy in his own right. Hero criteria:
a) self sacrificing
b) acerbically witty (LOVE that!)
c) despite getting the ladies tangled in his web (if you know what I mean), he seems like a total straight shooter

3. Neal Caffery
Oh! The salts, the salts! I'm in full-blown crush mode over this one, because I just can't resist a good (or, hey, even a bad) thief. Hero criteria:
a) ice blue eyes
b) killer style (including a rare but much appreciated way with hats)
c) dances like Frank Sinatra on the line between good guy and bad guy
d) everyone knows the next thing a sexy thief might steal is your heart...

4. Heathcliff
Yup, there we go, back to my geeky roots. This is the original bad boy, in my opinion. And the darkest dude you love to love. Hero criteria:
a) totally tortured
b) fully unapologetic about being a bully, a jerk, and a semi-neanderthal
c) Jealous and angry, honest and brutal, he still comes off looking like the sympathetic, better man.

5. Eugenides
Megan Whalen Turner, did you know you'd make me swoon like this? Eugenides is crafty, cunning, heartfelt and utterly vulnerable. Hero criteria:
1. He plans, like, years in advance. Not exactly the type to forget your birthday.
2. He's totally unapologetic about the fact that he's madly in love with his crazy-ass queen. And I love that she's the polar opposite of the woman he's grown up in awe of.
3. He's super manipulative, a master liar, a sneaky dude, and yet often gives you the sense of a naughty little boy reaching for the cookie jar.
4. Did I mention that he's enough of an expert with a sword to be able to fake being terrible with a sword? I've tried fencing; he's a champ.

Fact, fiction or fantasy, who are your favorite heroes?

------
AC Gaughen is the author of Scarlet, a retelling of the Robin Hood legend that reimagines Will Scarlet as a butt-kicking girl. Check it out February 14th, 2012 from Bloomsbury|Walker. Or just come visit her website. Or come stalk her on Twitter.

4 comments:

  1. Aw, I <3 Booth! Definite hero material...and love the sense of humour he brings to the show, his banter with Brennan is fantastic :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. This would be a tough one for me. I'm torn between Wolverine and Gambit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite hero is totally cliche but it's got to be Mistah Dah-cee.

    And in the Keira Knightly P&P movie when Matthew MacFadyen comes walking through the mist in that puffy shirt to say "You've bewitched me, body and soul, and I luh, I luh, I love you."...hummina, hummina, hummina!

    ReplyDelete