Friday, July 29, 2011

What's on Your Nightstand? #6

Laura Ellen: I finished SLIDE by our own Jill Hathaway and - OMG - was it good! Lots of twists and suspense as Vee - who can 'slide' into others and see what they are seeing at that moment - tries to solve a string of supposed suicides. I just started another by one of our own, PRETTY CROOKED by Elisa Ludwig. This has been such a fun read so far. Willa the main character is a riot and I absolutely love the voice! More next week after I've finished :)

A.C. Gaughen: I have my mind in two different books at the moment; THE BETRAYAL OF NATALIE HARGROVE by Lauren Kate and WILDEFIRE by Karsten Knight. TBONH is wonderfully bitchy and melodramatic, though I'm kinda bummed because the love interest I wanted to win just died....and I'm only like 50 pages in maybe. Can't tell with the Kindle. Oh, it turns out I'm 27% in. WILDEFIRE starts off with a catfight, which certainly has me hooked. I love a girl that throws a punch. Let you know next week how everything ends up...

Nicole Maggi: I'm still reading FOREVER by Maggie Stiefvater. I have this really bad habit of reading the last page first of a lot of books I read. I know, I know, it's bad. But this is harder to do with a Nook, which is what I'm reading FOREVER on. And I'm dying to know how it ends! My fingers are itching to scroll that last page. Must resist.... Also, on my actual nightstand is the ARC of THE FUTURE OF US and I'm very excited to crack that open!

Danny Marks: After a week spent savoring Jennifer Egan's lush and totally original A VISIT FROM THE GOON SQUAD, I'm back in the YA realm reading TEXAS GOTHIC by Rosemary Clement Moore. I have no idea what it's about but the idea of a southern gothic horror tale with a hint of romance really clicked for me when I snatched it off the shelf. Beautiful cover, too!

Gina Rosati: After reading FOREVER by Maggie Stiefvater last week, I decided I had to read the entire trilogy over again, so I read SHIVER and LINGER over the weekend, and I'm rereading FOREVER now. The Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy has it all ... constant tension, compelling characters, lyrical prose, just the right amount of setting, and so much wisdom you'll wonder if Maggie has her degree in psychology and philosophy. There are books to buy and there are books to borrow ... buy these in hardcover. You'll want them on your keeper shelf.

Jessica Spotswood: I've just started FOREVER too. I admire the way Maggie creates suh lovely images that stay with me: the bookshop in Mercy Falls, the candy shop Sam and Grace visit, the golden woods, the roomful of paper cranes. I can't wait to find out what happens with Cole and Isabel. They're so sarcastic and damaged and brilliant--and ultimately, I think, most interesting to me.

What are YOU reading this week? Tell us about it!

1 comment: