Friday, July 15, 2011

What's on Your Nightstand? #4

Here's what we're reading this week:
Zoraida Cordova: I just finished SILVER PHOENIX by Cindy Pon. It was such a quick read. Now I have to find the sequel!
Laura Ellen: I just finished reading an ARC of Megan Miranda's FRACTURE. Oh it was so good! It kept me on my seat and guessing the whole time. I just started reading an ARC of CATCHING JORDAN by Miranda Kenneally.
A.C. Gaughen: I just finished THE A CIRCUIT by Georgina Bloomberg--on one hand it was totally fluffy summer reading (think GOSSIP GIRL with horses) but on the other it seemed to be an almost-over-my-head ode to horse riding. Some of the terminology (Hunter hair? Ammy? Flatwork?) lost me, but I really enjoyed it! Plus it made being filthy rich look complex, which is always a feat.
Elisa Ludwig: Embarrassingly I am, like, the last person ever to read THE ABSOLUTELY TRUE DIARY OF A PART-TIME INDIAN. I don't know what took me so long to get to this one, but it's really wonderful—I am thoroughly pulled into Junior's world through Alexie's pitch-perfect voice.
Nicole Maggi: I'm reading ONCE UPON A RIVER by Bonnie Jo Campbell. Although the heroine is 17, I'm not sure I'd classify it as YA. It's intense and melancholy, about a very damaged and broken soul, but beautifully written. It's a true journey story and I'm enjoying the ride.
Danny Marks: I just finished Lauren Oliver's BEFORE I FALL and found it engaging, heartbreaking and genuinely funny. She has a very natural grasp of the teenage voice that hooked me from the first chapter. I'm currently reading an ARC of THE POISONED HOUSE by Michael Ford, a historical ghost story set in 1855. Very UPSTAIRS/DOWNSTAIRS meets THE CHANGELING! I'm digging it, but looking forward to James Dashner's THE MAZE RUNNER which is staring me down as we speak!
Gina Rosati: I just finished PASSION by Lauren Kate - it's the 3rd book in the FALLEN series, and there will be one more, RAPTURE, due out in the Spring of 2012. I'm seriously wowed by how well Lauren Kate tackles the complicated themes of good/bad, love/infatuation, and in this particular book, she also masters the complexities of historical fiction as her characters are now on a quest which takes them to several different places/eras. So impressed!!
Jessica Spotswood: I'm in the midst of DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE by Laini Taylor, and I'm awed by the lovely way she puts words together. It's nothing short of wordsmithing. I'd love to hang out with Karou in the fantastical, boho Prague of her imagination!
What's on your nightstand? Tell us about it!

1 comment:

  1. I loved both BEFORE I FALL and CATCHING JORDAN. And Elisa, um, I haven'tread any Sherman Alexie yet. *shameface*

    ReplyDelete