Friday, July 8, 2011

What's on Your Nightstand? #3

Anne Greenwood Brown: Well...it's technically leaving the nightstand for the bookshelf because I just finished it, but Dawn Metcalf's YA debut, LUMINOUS, was a wonderfully bizarre read.
Gina Damico: I am currently reading MACHINE OF DEATH, edited by Matthew Bennardo, David Malki, and Ryan North (of Dinosaur Comics!), which is a collection of short stories based around a single premise: a machine has been invented that is able to accurately predict, with a simple blood sample, the cause of any given person's death. So far it's been sad, hilarious, harrowing, ironic, scary, and above all, thought-provoking. Maybe a little too thought-provoking. I've caught myself staring at a lot of inanimate objects and wondering how they might possibly end up killing me.
Cole Gibsen: I’m reading FALLING UNDER by Gwen Hayes. It’s a deliciously dark look at the dangers of falling in love with a half-demon.
Elisa Ludwig: I'm finally reading THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE by Jandy Nelson—so far it's living up to its hype with memorable characters, a strong voice and lots of vivid detail.
Nicole Maggi: I'm reading RUNAWAY, the 3rd book in Meg Cabot's Airhead series on my Nook and am about to start Sarah Dessen's JUST LISTEN. I'm embarrassed to say I've never read any of Sarah Dessen's books! So I'm excited to start this one!
Danny Marks: A big reading week for me, I finished Veronica Roth's wonderful dystopian, DIVERGENT, but not before sneaking in a quick read of Josh Bazell's BEAT THE REAPER, which was both disturbing and hilarious. I couldn't get enough of it, and read it in a single day (a first for me). I'm currently finagling a little tandem adult/YA action with Gillian Flynn's DARK PLACES (sick) and the incredibly engrossing MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN. I can't tell you how absorbed I am by its weirdness. Or maybe I could. But then I'd have to capture your soul in a photograph and hide it away in a cigar box.
Kathleen Peacock: I was lucky enough to score an ARC of Tera Lynn Child's SWEET VENOM which was awesome and fun. Also, I read THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH and am kicking myself for not having read it sooner because it was flat out amazing.
Gina Rosati: I just finished MISS PEREGRINE’S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN... such a cool concept to write a story around these very bizarre vintage photos. Told from the POV of 15 year old Jacob Portman, this book would appeal to both girls and boys, ages 10 - adult. It's a little bit of everything, including both contemporary and historical, thriller, fantasy and horror with a tad of romance tossed in for good measure. The ending leaves plenty of room for a sequel, and I predict a movie before too long, too.
Jessica Spotswood: I’m in the middle of Ally Carter’s UNCOMMON CRIMINALS. It’s fast-paced and glam, like a teenage Ocean’s 11. I can’t wait to see how Kat and her friends get themselves out of their current jam.

What about you? What's on your nightstand this week?

2 comments:

  1. Elisa, THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE is amazing--one of my favorite reads last year. And Kathleen, I love Carrie's books!

    Clearly I need to read MISS PEREGRINE after all these glowing reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cole: I loved Falling Under!

    Nicole: Just Listen is so amazing!

    Danny: Divergent is one of my favorite books this year!

    Kathleen: Sweet Venom is on my shelf! I just saw Tera Lynn this week at her event for Fins are Forever and she read from Sweet Venom. Sounds amazing!

    Jessica: I loved Heist! I saw Ally Carter a few weeks ago and got my signed copy of Uncommon Criminals I can't wait to read it!

    I just finished Bad Taste in Boys by Carrie Harris and I'm reading Hourglass by Myra McEntire and Enthralled the Smart Chicks anthology.

    ReplyDelete