Friday, July 1, 2011

What's on Your Nightstand? #2

Anne Greenwood Brown: I'm starting REMEDIES by Kate Ledger! It's not YA, but rather literary fiction, so a bit off the norm for me, but I'm looking forward to it. I met Kate at another author's book reading in Minneapolis a couple months ago.
Zoraida Cordova: This week I'm reading WELCOME TO BORDERTOWN, edited by Holly Black and Ellen Kushner. I've only read a handful of the stories but so far my favorite is Elf Blood by Annette Curtis Klause.
Laura Ellen: CLOCKWORK ANGEL, Book 1 of The Infernal Devices, by Cassandra Clare. I just started reading this and can hardly put it down! So dark and action-packed - it is perfect for curling up with late at night!
AC Gaughen: I just finished 13 REASONS WHY by Jay Asher -- the book was both stunning and original and I found it to be a really interesting boy’s perspective on a girl’s life, an incredible discussion on suicide, and one of those rare books that kind of makes you feel less alone in the universe. I also just started UNCOMMON CRIMINALS by Ally Carter (as a total countereffect to 13 REASONS WHY) and I'm already remembering how in love with Hale I am......
Cole Gibsen: I’m finishing up the hilarious nonfiction book WAITER RANT by The Waiter. It’s a hilarious – and sometimes disturbing – look at the life of a waiter in New York.
Elissa Ludwig: This week I'm reading RAZZLE by Eileen Wittlinger, about a boy who gets forced to move with his retired parents to Cape Cod and ends up meeting an eccentric local girl. I love Wittlinger's ability to capture the voices of her unconventional characters and I'm also loving the setting, as I just got back from a beach vacation there! It's a warm, believable book with a lot of heart.
Nicole Maggi: I'm reading BEING NIKKI, book 2 of Meg Cabot's Airhead series, on my Nook. It's fun and breezy with a great YA voice. And on my nightstand I've got THE PARTICULAR SADNESS OF LEMON CAKE by Aimee Bender. It's sort of magical realism and so far very good though I'm not far into it!
Danny Marks: I'm about a third of my way into Veronica Roth's DIVERGENT and already sucked into its grim little world.
<!--[endif]-->
Eve Marie Mont: I'm about 50 pages into Daisy Whitney's THE MOCKINGBIRDS, and so far it is very gripping. The premise--potential date rape and its aftermath—is certainly serious, but Alex's irreverent, pitch-perfect teen voice grounds the tale. I'm looking forward to seeing how an underground society called The Mockingbirds helps bring Alex's assailant to justice. I've heard there are some pretty substantial TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD references, and that's always a good thing!
Kathleen Peacock: I just finished BEAUTY QUEENS and want to crawl on my knees over continents (and maybe even pointy rocks) to be Libba Bray's personal assistant. I will gladly pay her to let me fetch her cold beverages and warm slippers. It was funny, sarcastic, irreverent, AND it had pretty boy pirates captained by an even prettier pretty boy captain (Yes, I know. the pretty boys are, like, so not the point of the book. They still amused me.)
Gina Rosati: I had to stay up late last night to finish an ARC of fellow Apocalypsie Megan Bostic's beautifully written NEVER EIGHTEEN - when it comes out in January, it should be sold with its own package of tissues!! I JUST got MISS PEREGRINE’S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN (Ransom Riggs' debut novel) in the mail and it looks amazing! I'm starting it immediately.
Jessica Spotswood: I just started Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler’s THE FUTURE OF US, in which two teens log on to AOL in 1996 and discover their future Facebook profiles. It really makes me think about social media and how we present ourselves—and what my own 16 year old self would have thought of all of it!
What about you? What are YOU reading this week? Tell us about it in the comments!

6 comments:

  1. Yay, there are some fantastic books on this list! CLOCKWORK ANGEL, DIVERGENT, & MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN are all on my to-read pile. And I just read & really enjoyed BEAUTY QUEENS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also reading CLOCKWORK ANGEL! And on my nightstand is THE SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS, because OMG how have I not read that already? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn: You really ought to read the Sisterhood books before Caroline pelts you with them! And I've heard SO many good things about Cassie Clare's books--I don't know how I haven't read them yet, but I want to start with the historical ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica, I am SO jealous you have an ARC of THE FUTURE OF US!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to read CLOCKWORK ANGEL, too! I'm hearing so many good things about it. Good thing I bought it because of the gorgeous cover (I'm so shallow, lol).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Currently reading Jodi Picoult's THE PACT, and I get the feeling I'll remember this book for a long time.

    ReplyDelete