Friday, June 24, 2011

What's on Your Nightstand?

Welcome to our new Friday feature, where we'll be sharing what we're reading.
Anne Greenwood Brown: I'm re-reading HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS so when the last movie comes out I'm sufficiently prepared to complain about what crucial details were left out! Just kidding--It's just that I'm that obsessed (and that depressed that Pottermore isn't going to be a new book).
Zoraida Cordova: I'm reading REAL MERMAIDS DON'T WEAR TOE RINGS by Helene Boudreau. My debut is about merdudes and mergirls, so I'm stocking up on all the new releases.
Suzanne Lazear: I'm reading THE IRON THORN by Caitlin Kittredge.
Elisa Ludwig: I just finished THE HANGED MAN by Francesca Lia Block. Though I've been curious about her work for a while, this was the first of Block's books that I've read. Alternately lyrical and hard-edged, this story of a troubled girl lost in a surreal LA shocked and enchanted me.
Nicole Maggi: I'm reading two books right now - one the old-fashioned way and one on my Nook. On my Nook I've got Meg Cabot's AIRHEAD. I love Meg Cabot! She's got such a great voice in all of her books and there's not a story of hers that I haven't enjoyed. On my nightstand I'm reading THE HELP by Kathryn Stockett. Wow. Just...wow. I hope I write like that when I grow up.
Danny Marks: An ARC of Mike Mullins' grim and terrifying disaster epic ASHFALL and Lauren DeStefano's WITHER because SISTER WIVES is on hiatus.
Eve Marie Mont: I just finished Lauren DeStefano's WITHER, which was so gorgeously written, restrained, and haunting. Somehow DeStefano managed to write an action-packed dystopian with the subtlety of a poet. The ending, while satisfying, leaves me longing for the sequel.
Kathleen Peacock: Triggered by my post, I'm halfway through re-reading THE VAMPIRE LESTAT for the first time in well over a decade. I keep stumbling upon individual lines (like when Gabrielle says "Disaster, my son.") and feeling as though I've just bumped into an old friend on a crowded street.
Gina Rosati: It promises to be an amazing readbug summer. Lined up on the top of my list are THE ETERNAL SEA by Angie Frazier, PASSION by Lauren Kate, ABANDON by Meg Cabot and THE LOST CROWN by Sarah Miller.
Jessica Spotswood: I just finished TRIAL BY FIRE by Jennifer Lynn Barnes, the sequel to RAISED BY WOLVES. It’s my favorite werewolf series so far: fascinating pack dynamics, a strong and likable heroine, and a plot that keeps me turning the pages.
What about you guys? Have you already read any of the books on our nightstands? What are YOU reading?

4 comments:

  1. Real Mermaids Don't Wear Toe Rings is such a fun book and Helene Boudreau is so unbelievably amazing and sweet. She was in town with some other kid's lit folk for an event, once, and invited myself and another woman to go out to supper with them even though she only knew us through Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm about to start The Emperor of All Maladies. It'll be a non-fiction weekend for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adored WITHER. It's one of my favorite books of the year for sure. And I can't wait for the HP7 movie! I've already got my tickets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danny, I too am obsessed with Sister Wives! And Anne, I just got my HP7 tickets too! I know I'm going to be an emotional wreck when I see it!

    ReplyDelete